Make Your Own Maesil Cheong (Green Plum Syrup) Kit 매실청키트
Pre-order today to avoid disappointment.
This includes delicate Korean green plums (maesil) that are only available for a very limited time, xylose sugar, plus the recipe required to make this kitchen essential that every Korean household prepares at this time of year. Maesil-Cheong is used as a condiment and healthy sugar substitute. It relieves indigestion and is considered traditional medicine.
Green plums, known as maesil in Korea, used to make the plum syrup, has many variants; typically they are Cheon-mae, Ok-young, Aeng-suk, Chung-chook and Nam-go. All plums are green in colour, but once there is sunshine, the maesil will turn slightly pinkish and ripen slowly to a yellow ish colour at the end of the season. The maesil you will get will typically be greenish in colour. For Ok-young or Aeng-suk and Nam-go, however, they will be pinkish to reddish sometimes.
SoGoodK has curated the following for the coming weeks:
- Week 1 and 2 (3 Jun and 10 Jun)- Cheon-mae (Cheong maesil)
- Week 3 (17 Jun)- Ok-young or Aeng-suk (Hong maesil, variant subject to availability)
- Week 4 (24 Jun) - Chung-chook (Cheong maesil)
- Week 5 (1 Jul) - Nam-go (Hong maesil)
To complete the kit, Olivia has even included the large glass jar and label for indicating the date of preparation that you will need to ferment your green plum sauce at home.
Make Your Own Maesil Syrup
Maesil-Cheong (Green Plum Syrup) Preparation
- 1 x 2L Glass Jar
- 1 x 1KG Xylose Sugar
- 1 x 1KG Green Plum
- 1 x Sticker Label
- 2 x Toothpicks
- Disinfect the glass jar with boiling water.
- Wash the plums clean and dry completely. Remove all the stem ends from the plums.
- Using a sharp needle or with a toothpick, prick the plum 2 or 3 times to make it more liquid-rich.
- In a glass jar, layer 1/3 of the plums on the bottom and sprinkle 1/3 of the sugar.
- Repeat Step 4 until the sugar is close to the lip of the jar.
- Close the lid and store it in a dark place. Let the plums ferment for at least 3 months (and up to 3 years). Write down the date and paste the sticker onto the jar to keep track of when you can begin to consume the syrup.
- When ready, strain the plums and syrup with a fine strainer. Collect the syrup in a jar and store it in the fridge.
- The syrup is now ready for use in many recipes, or drink it with chilled iced water.
Tips for making your maesil cheong
Making the maesil cheong takes approximately 100 days.
1. After washing, make sure to dry the plums thoroughly.
2. When pouring the sugar, make sure to cover all the plums and bury them in the sugar. This step and step 1 are to prevent mould from growing during the fermentation.
3. After 30 days, you need to stir the plum and sugar mixture to dissolve the remaining sugar that has not melted. Use a wooden or silicone spoon to stir the mixture. NO METAL utensils should be used. Make sure every plum is coated with the sugary syrup.
4. If mould should grow, simply remove them carefully and discard them. Then continue to let the syrup ferment.
5. Every few weeks, simply shake the bottle with the syrup to coat the plums with the sugar syrup.
6. Please keep the fermentation process in a cool, dry place. Once it is over, please keep the syrup in the refrigerator.
For all pre-order items and fresh produce like fruits and fresh mushrooms, we regret that there is no refund, cancellation, or return once orders are placed to our supplier on Mondays when pre-order closed.
When you place a pre-order, we will create a special reservation with the manufacturer or supplier for you. Because of this, it is currently not possible for us to cancel a pre-order. If you do insist on a cancellation, then a surcharge of 70% of the order value will be imposed.
For SoGood Thursday Pre-Orders, please reach out to us immediately should you change your mind. Please contact us, call or email ASAP by 6pm on Monday of the week of delivery, as we will send in the order to import your items then.
For Frozen Items, in any case of receiving a wrong item, as long as the product is NOT consumed, left untouched (Thawed,Frozen), We will determine whether the item has meet our requirements and eligible for an exchange, or a refund. Any wrong item received that has a difference in price will be partially refunded depending on the situation.
If there is any dissatisfaction with your purchase, please contact us, and we will work with you to make it right.
Other terms and conditions for shipping and delivery charges apply.
Note: Images shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual products may vary.
We may replace an item from other prefectures in the event of bad weather condition or out-of-stock situation.
Got this as a bday gift for my niece - looking forward to see the dishes drinks she can come up with the syrup!
missed the first season last year and snapped three sets to see the difference in the variety of plums.
the set comes complete with everything you need and it is such a fun activity to do with friends or with a child. the hardest part is really the waiting for the syrup to be ready (can be used as a life lesson on patience for kids).
Everything that you need to ferment your own maesil cheong is included in this set, along with easy-to-follow instructions. My husband and I prepped ours together in about half an hour, and we can't wait to pop it open in 3 months!
Received them all in very good condition. Not a single blemish plum. Was very happy to make my own. Discovered too on YouTube that after extracting the syrup.. the 2nd recipe is to make Maesil wine with soju and later after its done.. make a banchan out of the wrinkled but soft Maesil with gochujang. I cannot wait to do all this. Thank you Sogoodk for bringing Maesil in.
Deliver 10 Jun~1Jul. (Pre-order) Make Your Own Maesil Cheong (Green Plum Syrup) Kit 매실청키트